Civil matters typically involve conflicts between private individuals or entities. Some civil matters involve the government (local, state, federal). Generally, if a matter is not a criminal matter, it is civil.
Common Civil Causes of Action include:
- Somebody owes another money
- Breach of Contract
- Intentional Wrongdoing or Intentional Tort
- Detinue - somebody has another's property, or property they have a right to possess
- Unlawful Detainer - somebody has overstayed their welcome and eviction is sought
There are also civil matters that are collaterally related to criminal matters, including:
- Restoration of Gun Rights
- Restoration of Civil Rights
- Restoration of Driving Privileges
- Expungement of Criminal Records
- Protective Orders
- Civil Asset Forfeiture
- "Red Flag" Law - Substantial Risk Order
- Click here to go to our Articles page - there you can read "Virginia's Red Flag Law: The Basics of a Substantial Risk Order."
If you have a legal matter that is civil in nature, contact us today! We will be glad to discuss your situation with you at your convenience.